Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween, Hockey and Hokies!

So it's Halloween season and it just happens to be my wife's favorite time of the year. She loves the changing of the leaves, scary movies and chocolate (who doesn't?). As I noted earlier we went up to a cabin in the woods, which is often the setting for a good scary movie, watched some scary movies and noted the changing of the colors in the trees. The only thing missing was eating of chocolate, but we did make some hot chocolate so trifecta nailed!

I'm not too old, but when I was young there wasn't the mass marketing of famous young people for costumes. There weren't any pop idols like Hannah Montana or Zac Efron to emulate. I was He-Man and Spider-man and Dracula, but I also was balloon man one year. I basically wore a big bed sheet and Mom blew up about 20 balloons and stuffed me full of them. Yeah good times.

Even though it's only been 20 years (wow, maybe not 'only') since I've been trick-or-treating, I never remember going with a parent. Times were different, my home town was different. People trusted people and parents, I assume, believed their kids would make the proper decisions. We went out in groups and it was peaceful. I was never the prankster. I didn't throw eggs or smash pumpkins. I was in it for the candy.

With fall comes the start of Hockey and my Capitals have more expectations to succeed than they have ever had in their 35 year history. Anything less than winning a Stanley Cup is not good enough. I remember watching various sports growing up and wondering why my favorite teams could never have the best player in the game. Wayne Gretzky, never a Cap; Joe Montana, never a Redskin; Barry Bonds, never an Oakland Athletic; Michael Jordan, never a Piston. All that has changed now. I get to watch one of the top 5 (or 10 until he wins a Cup) greatest offensive hockey players to ever lace up the skates on a daily basis. I'm not taking this for granted. Hopefully I'll get to see 15 years of stardom (with 3 or 4 Cups too) from Alex Ovechkin. I've watched hockey for about 20 years now and I missed out on Gretzky's peak years and hated Lemieux too much to ever give him any credit for his greatness so I don't really know who to compare the Great 8 to. He is mesmerizing every time he is on the ice. You hold your breath when he has the puck, because you know there is a good chance that something special will happen. I was at the game vs Montreal when this happened. I was at the Rangers playoff game when this happened. I was 5 rows back on the blue line when this happened. Unfortunately I don't live in Phoenix or else I might have been witness to this.

That's just a sampling of what he has done since arriving to the NHL...but I still want him to do this.

As for the Hokies...I hate the Hokies. I love the Tar Heels. UNC 20 VT 17! Sweet!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Now you can wait until basketball season and watch this happen.

No comments: