Monday, November 2, 2009

Ovechkin and Warner

So every Washington Capital fan is holding their breath today waiting for word on how long Alex Ovechkin will be out with his undisclosed 'upper body' injury. In hockey you don't have to put out an injury report like they do in football. The reason for this is simple: betting lines. Gambling is so prevalent in the NFL that every minute injury has to be officially documented to avoid fines and punishment.

For all we know Ovechkin has a broken foot if they are saying 'upper body'. That's what is awesome about hockey. It keeps opponents from intentionally aiming for that part of the body with a stick or a check. Now I know the recent rule changes sorta forbid this policy, but I assume some shenanigans are still going on.

My fantasy football team had a great start yesterday with long runs by both Frank Gore and LeSean McCoy. In my league we get double points for touchdowns over 50 yards so I took a good sized lead. My opponent got back into the game with a TD pass from his QB to his WR, but I still had Kurt Warner to play. He was at home against the Carolina Panthers who have not been a defensive force this year to say the least. He threw an early interception, but followed up with a TD to keep me close. That is when his wheels fell off. After falling down by 21 (good for me, all throwing the rest of the way!!) he threw 4 more interceptions and lost a fumble. Thanks, Kurt, thanks.

My draft strategies have been take a QB or two late (7th rd or later), but this year I tried something new and took Kurt in the 5th round, but man do I wish I had a better WR instead of him. I could have waited 2 more rounds and snagged Big Ben or possibly Philip Rivers. More on those thoughts in the off season.

So tonight I'm hoping that Jason Elam has 5 fg's and the Saints D doesn't get a sack or a turnover off Matt Ryan....c'mon kid, help me out!

No comments: