Friday, November 6, 2009

Poker talk for the Weekend

So I'd love to have more money and be able to play poker a lot more, but for now I usually play once in a while with friends. For fun, though, I play weekly at a local watering hole. We usually get between 20 and 45 players for a 10:30 start and that's not bad. There is a wide range of skill levels in the room and I'd like to believe I'm in the top 5% of the people who sit down.

I can practically punch my ticket to the final nine week in and week out if I concentrate enough and don't lose out to a bad beat. Sometimes the people I'm with are annoying and I get out of my style and make stupid plays trying to run over the table. It's not a deep stack tournament and the blinds fly by so one big mistake will end your tournament.

It's fun, it's free and there are weekly cash prizes and a quarterly tournament for $500.

Speaking of final nine...the WSOP is down to exactly that this weekend. Phil Ivey is the best player in the world and he is still in it. He is 7th out of the nine players in amount of chips, but according to ESPN 78.6% of people believe he is going to win. Jeff Schulman, the editor of Card Player Magazine is also there and he's been at a final table before. I believe he will be heads up for the championship. Darvin Moon, the logger from Maryland, has the massive chip lead and has been getting hit in the face with the deck. Recently he has shown a little bit more skill with fewer cards. He is bluff check raising and raising out of position. As long as he keeps with the style he had in getting to the final table he'll be around for a while. Don't get stupid Darvin.

I'd love to see Phil Ivey win, but I believe he'll be 1st out or last out. He's going to get aggressive and try for the quick double up hoping that everybody else is nervous in the beginning and playing close to the vest.

I'm picking Jeff Schulman to win over Darvin Moon.

No comments: